A recent survey has suggested that by 2025, the Canadian trucking sector will be short 48,000 long-haul truckers. It is an excellent news for truck drivers because it will create a terrific opportunity for anyone seeking to immigrate to Canada in order to pursue this line of work. In this article, we’ll tell you all you need to know about Employment As A Truck Driver In Canada With A Sponsored VISA.
Nevertheless, the Canadian transportation industry continues to face high demand and employment vacancies for long-haul truck drivers. And the Canadian government has also been supportive of all these development as they provide eligible foreign employees seeking work as truck drivers in the country with work visas.
Let’s take a look at the prerequisites for getting a truck driver job in Canada. It will help you know what’s required to get a visa sponsorship truck driver job being a foreigner in Canada.
These are some of them:
- In Canada, there are permanent, full-time, overtime, weekend, day, night, and evening jobs available for truck drivers.
- For this employment, a high school diploma is desired but not required.
- Driving experience in heavy-duty vehicles is preferred but not required.
- Basic or effective English communication skills are required.
- For this position, you’ll need to have the necessary qualifications, including certificates, licenses, memberships, and training.
- The Air Brake (Z) Endorsement and a valid driver’s license (Class 1 or A) are requirements.
- Trucking and Equipment Types: Tractor-trailer, Flatbed, Refrigerated, Highway, Straight truck (4,600kg+ or 10,000lbs+ with 3+ axles).
- Basic security clearance, a criminal background check, a driving record check (abstract), a medical exam, and a drug test are all necessary for safety and security.
- Details regarding travel and transportation: open to traveling across both Canada and the US. willing to travel vast distances and to do so at any time of day or night, including on overnight travels.
- The ability to work in a two-person team to drive long-haul trucks is a must for candidates, as well as legal employment status in Canada.
- Ability to operate and drive straight or articulated trucks for the transportation of products and supplies.
- Cargo loading and unloading, taping, and guaranteeing cargo safety and security
- Ability to plan your trip routes and schedules.
- To assist you in organizing your trip, you should be able to use atlases and other planning tools.
- Arrange data and send it to the central dispatcher.
- a convoy driving or two-person squad driving skill.
- Additionally, you must to be able to check the tires, lights, brakes, cold storage, and other components of the car and assess its condition.
Here is the rundown of the leading programs to find a truck driver job with visa sponsorship in Canada:
British Columbia is a provincial program for truck drivers in Canada is
A full-time job offer in long-haul trucking is the gold standard for candidates in British Columbia’s entry-level and semi-skilled category, which has over 400 positions on the job bank. And long-haul drivers can live in the province permanently. Learn more about immigration in British Columbia by visiting their website at https://www.immigration.ca/british-columbia-immigration/.
With 837 job adverts now available, Quebec leads the way in terms of provincial opportunities for truck drivers. The recruitment website for the Quebec government claims that the platform offers “great” career possibilities for truck drivers.
Access Quebec website at https://www.immigration.ca/en/quebecimmigrationprovincial.html.
In July 2019, the NOC code for transport truck drivers (7511) was added to the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program Employer Job Offer In-Demand Skills Stream, along with three other occupations.
And this implies that qualified truck drivers who have a job offer in Ontario can follow a set process to obtaining permanent residency in that country. Learn more about immigration at https://www.immigration.ca/en/ontario-immigration.html.
Long-haul truckers are another in-demand profession under the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program, with over 500 job openings on the employment bank. Truck drivers are eligible for both the Alberta Opportunity Stream and Alberta Express Entry.
Employers wishing to hire truck drivers in Manitoba should use the federal Labour Market Impact Assessment for Temporary Foreign Workers process. Businesses are only permitted to hire outside of the LMIA system under the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program if certain requirements are met, such as recruitment efforts and adherence to provincial labor rules.
Visit the Manitoba immigration website at https://www.immigration.ca/en/manitoba-immigration.html to discover more.
Newfoundland and Labrador
This is a province in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador
The Labor Market Outlook 2025 report in Newfoundland and Labrador highlights truck driving as an occupation that will require significant immigration to meet job vacancy demand. Trucking businesses must apply to be qualifying employers for the NLPNP’s Skilled Worker and Express Entry streams.
For people already working in Canada on a work permit, Saskatchewan Immigration has a separate Long-Haul Truck Drivers Sub-Category. And the profession also meets the requirements for the province’s Occupations In-Demand and Express Entry categories, which each draw for particular professions.
Transport Truck Drivers (NOC 7511) are one of two target jobs in the Nova Scotia Nominee Program’s Occupations In-Demand Stream. Drivers now have a direct route to a place of permanent abode.
Through this program, you may be able to obtain a truck driving position in Canada with sponsorship of your visa.
Wages for Truck Drivers in Canada
Truck drivers’ hourly salaries are now competitive with national and provincial averages.
The median pay for truck drivers is slightly below the average for all occupations, according to statistics from Statistics Canada and Job Bank, but it can rise to more than $8 over that average, or $32 per hour, in some cases.
Truck driver salaries are anticipated to increase as labor market demand increases in the coming years.
Supposed you’re contemplating a truck driver job with visa sponsorship in Canada for foreigners, then you were on the right page. However, this article have highlighted these opportunities and the various programs offering them.